1. In the states, every citizen is expected to perform their civic duty and serve on a jury at some point. This week, I am on jury duty. Have you ever had to serve on a jury?
Yes. Criminal case (robbery). Defendent fled before sentencing, we convicted him in absentia.
I've also been called to jury duty once more, in MA where I live now (the jury I served on was in RI), and did not get called.
2. If you were to ever serve on a jury, would you be able to give someone the death penalty?
Yes. I don't think I'd do it out of hand, but I think I could make that judgement.
3. One thing that concerns me about jury duty is what my life would be like if I had to convict someone. I'd always be worried about some sort of retaliation from the convict, or their family. Has fear of negative consequences ever kept you from reporting a crime or voicing your opinion?
4. When it comes to convictions, I've never even been convicted of speeding (accused yes, but heh, never convicted). Have you ever been accused of or convicted for breaking any laws? What's the real story there?
Only speeding, and only tickets. I haven't gone to court or anything.
5. It looks like I will have a lot of time on my hands this week in the jury pool. I may get called, I may not. If not, I go back tomorrow. Rinse, wash, repeat. How would you pass the time if you had to sit and wait around from 8am-5pm for 5 days?
Been there, done that. MA has a one-day thing, but RI at the time did not. I read. Brought books and read. Now, I'd probably bring books and my Palm and keyboard, and I'd write or read, as the mood struck.
6. One thing I do like about this "civic duty" is that it will be at the downtown courthouse. I LOVE downtown. There is just so much life there. What part of your town is your favorite to visit? Why? What makes it so special?
I'm not a city person, but I like Providence's waterfront. With Waterfire and everything, Buddy did a great job of spiffing up Providence before he went up the river.
7. I'm not that outgoing around strangers, so I doubt I will be meeting many new people this week. Do you have any problems striking up a conversation with someone you don't know? Have chance encounters with strangers ever led to interesting new relationships or opportunities?
No problems striking up conversation here. It usually depends on the situation, but if I can find something in common to talk about with someone I will.
I don't think anything has led anywhere, though. Well, other than the man who sold me tires for my car one time ended up becoming my husband, but the tires were totally unrelated to how we met. Heh.